Social Justice Organizer
Application Deadline: February 20, 2015 or until the ideal candidate is identified.
Engage Michigan is organizing for progressive change. We are hiring a Social Justice Organizer to help make that happen. This position will be housed in our Detroit office.
Position Overview: As the Engage Michigan Social Justice Organizer, you will be responsible for helping cultivate relationships to drive media and online campaigns while assisting the Social Justice Communications Coordinator in building communications capacity for our partners in Michigan’s social justice and civic engagement community. This includes seeking out and coordinating with allies, designing the strategy and tactics, and then assisting with the implementation of all aspects of issue-based campaigns including: racial justice and minority rights; juvenile justice and prison reforms; immigration reform; community benefits agreements and other community-based economic development initiatives; and expanding voter opportunities in traditionally marginalized voter populations.
You will assist the Communications Coordinator with writing press releases, press advisories, talking points, opinion pieces and developing and deploying new and traditional media communications.
You must have the desire and the temperament to work collaboratively with organizations that have a range of communications experience and skills. Your passion must be to expand social justice and you must be comfortable and willing to be a team player. You’ll need to be adept and creative at organizing and mobilizing folks to make a difference. You’ll need to be able to turn on a dime and respond quickly so when there’s a new idea on Monday afternoon, you can implement it on Tuesday morning. Perhaps most importantly, you’ll need an entrepreneurial spirit to help establish a ubiquitous brand and take Engage Michigan to the next level.
REQUIREMENTS: To position our Social Justice Organizer for success, we have identified three critical skill-sets necessary to excel in this role – roughly grouped into Scalable Organizing skills, Technology, and Communications. Strong candidates will be skilled in all three areas. We also encourage candidates to apply who don’t have deep expertise in all three areas, but have exceptional skills in one or two areas as well as the hunger and aptitude to learn the other areas quickly.
- Constantly thinking of creative new ways to mobilize supporters in ways that have a tangible impact
- Can integrate online communications with real-world organizing
- Skilled at combining various tactics and managing the tempo of a campaign to keep the momentum building
- Social media organizing experience across a variety of platforms is strongly preferred
- Experience directing advocacy campaigns is preferred
- Ability to manage staff and volunteers and conduct trainings
- Adept at figuring out creative ways of leveraging technology to accomplish goals
- Skilled at testing new uses of technology, and knows how to measure what’s working
- Has managed and scoped out web tools
- Willing to learn from others and follow the latest best practices
- Powerful writer for earned media and online audiences, especially succinct press releases, short and catchy email actions and insightful opinion pieces
- Knows what media tactics will attract press coverage, how to pitch a story and makes themselves indispensible to reporters and assignment editors
- Able to organize simultaneous, creative, TV-centric earned media events
- Thrives on maintaining relevancy in the 24-hour news cycle
- Likes teamwork, but can work independently day-to-day
- Highly self-motivated
- Can plan and manage complex projects under relentless deadlines
- Is low-ego and high-output (like the rest of our team)
- Can change directions quickly and frequently
- Likes working hard with a hard-working team
- Can connect with rest of team remotely: communicates well on conference calls, IM and email
Engage Michigan offers a competitive salary and benefits package based on relevant experience.
Please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position to Lonnie Scott, Executive Director at Jobs@EngageMichigan.org with the subject line “Social Justice Organizer.”
Engage Michigan is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.